Meet our Apprentices!
At BDL, we strongly agree that Apprenticeships are a great way to help the young people of our community learn a new skillset, whilst studying the theory at college alongside gaining a hands-on experience on site. Apprenticeships are a great way to invest in the future and we are proud to be able to assist in offering this opportunity within our society.
We also understand the pressures that young people face when deciding what their next step will be after they have left school. Apprenticeships are a fantastic alternative to continuing education in the classroom and offers learners with a more practical insight.
Apprenticeships offer a structured training program in a variety of fields to assist school leavers gain invaluable skills in their chosen industry. Securing employment earlier means that there is lots more potential for them to progress in their career swiftly. they will also earn a salary from the start with room for increase throughout their journey.
Top 10 benefits of choosing an apprenticeship
- Earn while you learn
- Receive a recognized qualification
- Gain independence
- Personalized support
- Gain real life work experience
- Improve employability
- Boost your CV
- Develop skills
- Further progression on completion
- No student loan to pay back
How do Apprentices benefit businesses?
Hiring an apprentice is a productive and effective way for any organisation to grow talent and develop a motivated, skilled, and qualified workforce. 86% of employers said apprenticeships developed skills relevant to their organisation and 78% reported improved productivity.
Other benefits that apprentice’s offer to businesses include;
- Tailored skillsets
- Enhanced skills & knowledge
- Greater staff job satisfaction
- Lower recruitment costs
- Improved staff retention
- Investment in the future
- Increased productivity
- Better customer service
- A positive return on Investment
Meet our very own Apprentices
Here at BDL we have two Apprentices. We facilitate Fire Door Joinery apprenticeships for Joshua Nuttall & Cameron Smith.
When asked about his experience and decision to take up an apprenticeship, Josh said
“My job role is an Apprentice Fire Door Joiner. I chose to do an Apprenticeship because I am learning a trade on site whilst also getting paid. If I were to do the course alone in college, I would not be paid or receive the practical training. I study at Riverside College in Widnes who are supporting me throughout my apprenticeship. They come out to site to assess me and assist in the classroom.
The support from BDL is great, they put me with other joiners who have got a wealth of experience and they helped set me up with basic tools when I joined. Balancing my college studies with work is hard at times as I just want everything to be hands on however, the written elements in the classroom are just as important as the practical side. I would say apprenticeships are a better path than University or College for me as I was not very academic, and I learn better by getting involved and learning practically.
I believe apprenticeships are a great way forward for anyone and with such a variety of industries now offering them, there is something to suit everyone.”
We also spoke to Cameron Smith who said
“I started my apprenticeship in August 2019 and have recently completed an NVQ. Working as an apprentice. It has boosted my confidence and strengthened my people skills. Currently, my role at BDL comprises of joinery. Thanks to the apprenticeship, my arsenal of abilities has been broadened tremendously. For example, I am now more capable than ever of adapting my operational methods in accordance with the requirements of any job assigned to me.
I studied at Fullagar Construction Skills Centre. Both BDL and Fullagar have enabled me to achieve strong grades and thrive on the training course. My gratitude is also owed to the wonderful work colleagues/mentors and office staff at BDL who have certainly played no small part in my progress to date. Overall, I believe the immense personal benefits derived from an apprenticeship (including increased adaptability and confidence) equip a learner with assets which will last a lifetime.”
Is there funding available for apprenticeships?
The answer is yes! The government offers funding to companies who take on an apprentice and help facilitate their journey. The amount of funding varies depending on whether the company pay’s the apprenticeship levy or not. Prior to 1st April 2019, non-levy paying companies had to pay 10% of the cost of training and assessing each apprentice.
However, from 1st April 2019, this was reduced to 5% of the cost meaning the government funds the remaining 95%. This is another great incentive and reason to hire an apprentice!